- Sign up for the sisters "Tip of the Week." Click here to sign up. It's on the right hand side.
- Start small and make it managable.
- Introduce "Read to Self" the first week, and practice Stamina
- Introduce "Read to Someone" if you want and again practice it
- The Sisters maintain that "Read to Someone" is not as important in upper grades as it is in primary. If it's not something you want to implement, then don't!
- Introduce "Work on Writing" and practice it
- Do these seperate weeks to get comfortable and confident
- Even now, I still use "The Daily 5" book when I'm teaching the procedures. I use it as a resource and explain to my students that it's part of my tool kit to teach. Plus, I think it's important that students know that I use books and that I don't have answers to everything.
If you're comfortable with your management, and want to start implementing CAFE, I suggest following the sisters plan in the appendix of the book. It starts with 10 strategies. It gives you a guide on how/when to implement the strategies. Guess what? Last year, I only did the first 10! I didn't really start hitting CAFE under second semester. Do what's right for you!