Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I Love you, but I'm not IN love with you! A tale of Twitter....

I'm a self-proclaimed junkie when it comes to Reading Instruction!  I love reading and learning new ideas about it.  Twitter has been absolutely phenomenal in feeding that addiction the last month or so. 
But, don't you hate it when it backfires?  You know what I'm talking about, when you start reading all those fabulous things you should be doing, but aren't always a part of your daily lesson.  When you know what's best practice, but it's gone by the wayside. (Right, Gina Boyd?)
Well, that happened in spades to me this week.
I've always known that as a fifth grade teacher I really need to be up on great novels, graphic novels, and interesting picture books.  In turn, we can help find good fits for our readers.  Or, introduce them to something new, or .... (Submit your own reason!)
I have NOT done that this year.  I've barely bought any books, let alone read any to share with my students.  Of course, I already have Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, The 39 Clues all going around, but nothing new or fresh. 
Cue Twitter - I follow Donalyn Miller (The Book Whisperer author) and she is constantly tweeting books she is reading and giving ratings.  Also, from following her, I have started following the Nerdy Book Club.  So, in this I found some really great books to read and share with  my students. 

Getting to my point, I shared these books with my students at the beginning of CAFE.  I explained what each book was about, and what I had enjoyed about it.  In the two days since I have shared most of the books I bough and have had more conversations about these books than I have about books this whole year. 
WHAT HAVEN'T I BEEN DOING THIS ALL YEAR?!!!?? 
             So, Twitter - I love you!  I do, but at times you break my heart, so if it's OK, I can't be IN love with you.  I love your ideas, professional development, testimonials, etc., but I hate how you make me feel when I read all these fabulous things that I only dream of doing.
Love,
Andrea

If you're interested, here is what I bought:
  • The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger (Great, short book)
  • Darth Paper Strikes Back by Tom Angleberger (Great follow-up!)
  • Wonder by RJ Palacio (A real tear jerker - great story about hope and friendship)
  • The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (Great book over perspective)
  • Smile by Raina Telgemeier (A graphic novel that is hilarious and true to real life)
These I found from either Twitter or Nerdy Book Club.  I also bought a few others for me:
  • Storm Runners by Roland Smith (Fabulous, I was mad that I didn't have book 2 to see what happens next)
  • Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (Haven't read yet, but I'm sure it's fantastic)
  • The Big Time by Tim Green (Didn't read, but have some big Tim Green fans in my class)
  • Best of the Best by Tim Green (Ditto!)

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to my world! I'm CONSTANTLY asking myself why I don't do what I KNOW works for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gina! Also, how many times did I use great? Haha! I was in a rush to publish, I guess.

    ReplyDelete